1. Question: Where can I obtain information about Somerset County’s parks - locations, trails, park maps, etc.?
    1. Answer: Contact the Somerset County Park Commission at 908-722-1200 or view online for a complete listing of all parks, park information, and maps.
  2. Question: What hours are the parks open?
    1. Answer: General-use parks are open one half hour prior to sunrise until one half hour after sunset unless otherwise specified by signage. Some facilities such as Warrenbrook Pool, Lord Stirling Stable, Environmental Education Center and Leonard J. Buck Garden are open during varying hours and days. Please check with each facility before you visit for current hours.
  3. Question: Where can I find information about special events occurring in Somerset County’s parks?
    1. Answer: You can call the Park Commission’s activity hotline 908-722-1200 ext. 5351 or view online for an updated schedule.
  4. Question: What types of volunteer opportunities does the Park Commission offer and how can I participate as a volunteer?
    1. Answer: The Somerset County Park Commission offers numerous volunteer opportunities throughout the park system, view online for more information or call 908-722-1200 ext. 5002
  5. Question: When and where does the Somerset County Park Commission have their monthly public meetings?
    1. Answer: Public meetings are usually held the third Thursday of each month (unless noted otherwise) at either 8:00am or 3:30pm at the Park Commission’s main office, 355 Milltown Road, Bridgewater. Call the Park Office at 908 722-1200 to confirm meeting dates and times or view online for schedule.
      Meeting Dates and Times
  6. Question: Where can I exercise my dog off leash?
    1. Answer: The Leash-Free Dog Area at Colonial Park offers an enclosed 3-acre area where dogs can run free. Please view online for more information and directions.
  7. Question: Do I need to reserve a picnic area or an athletic field?
    1. Answer: There are picnic tables that can be used on a “first come, first serve” basis. But, you can reserve a picnic area if you have a group of 20 or more people. Picnic areas and athletic fields can be reserved for a fee by calling 908-722-1200 ext 5225. For information on picnic area or special use permits, view online.
  8. Question: Does the Somerset County Park Commission offer horseback riding?
    1. Answer: Yes. Lord Stirling Stable in Basking Ridge offers horseback riding, pony rides, and riding lessons. Please view online to learn more about Lord Stirling Stable or call 908 722-1200 ext. 5010.
  9. Question: Where can I go to learn more about Somerset County’s natural environment?
    1. Answer: The Environmental Education Center offers a variety of environmental education programs, for all age groups, throughout the year. Please view online, or call 908-722-1200 ext. 5002 to learn more about the Environmental Education Center, and the many programs that are offered.
  10. Question: Who is eligible for programs offered by the Therapeutic Recreation Department?
    1. Answer: Individuals who have a developmental disability may register for programs. Certain programs may be age and disability specific. Participants are also welcome to partake in the many other programs that are offered by the Park Commission. If you would like more information about the Therapeutic Recreation programs, please view online or call 908-526-5650.
  11. Question: I do not have a developmental disability, but need adaptations in order to participate. For what programs may I register?
    1. Answer: The Somerset County Park Commission welcomes people with all abilities to participate in our programs. Certain programs or activities may have essential eligibility requirements. If you need a reasonable accommodation or modification in order to enjoy a program, please call the Therapeutic Recreation Department at 908-526-5650. Two weeks notice is required to ensure that appropriate accommodations can be provided.
  12. Question: Does the Somerset County Park Commission have any gardens?
    1. Answer: Yes. You can visit the Leonard J. Buck Garden in Far Hills, or Colonial Park’s Rudolf Van DerGoot Rose Garden, Arboretum, Fragrance and Sensory Garden, or Perennial Garden. All of these gardens offer a variety of programs and events, or you can just walk through them and enjoy their beauty.
  13. Question: How do I book a tee time at a Somerset County Park Commission golf course?
    1. Answer: You must call the automated tee time system at 908-231-1122. In-county members may call 7 days in advance of the day they want to play, out-of-county members, 5 days, and non-members, 24 hours. You may also view online for our online tee time booking. To find out more about the tee time system and the Park Commission’s golf courses, view online.
  14. Question: Are golf lessons available at the Somerset County Park Commission’s golf courses?
    1. Answer: Yes. Lessons by fully-certified teaching golf professionals are available at the Neshanic Valley Learning Center, Spooky Brook Golf Course, and Quail Brook Golf Course.
  15. Question: Do you offer tennis lessons?
    1. Answer: Yes. The Somerset County Park Commision offers tennis lessons at the Green Knoll Tennis Center at 587 Garretson Road in Bridgewater, and at the Colonial Park Tennis Center in Franklin Township. For more information, please view online or call 908-722-1200 ext. 5021.
  16. Question: Can I reserve tennis court time?
    1. Answer: Yes. Courts can be reserve in one hour blocks at the Green Knoll Tennis Center. The courts at Colonial Park Tennis Center are free of charge and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
  17. Question: Do I have to live in Somerset County in order to swim at Warrenbrook Pool?
    1. Answer: No. Anyone can visit the pool by purchasing a daily visitor’s pass during the regular hours of operation. Season passes are available to residents of Somerset County at a pre-season rate. After the facility opens on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, season passes are also available to out of county residents at the regular season rate. For more information about the pool, please view online or call 908-722-1200 ext. 5018.