In honor of local veterans, the Somerset County Park Commission will now offer a 20% discount to veterans on weekdays at all golf courses beginning July 1. Veterans will now be able to more affordably enjoy the county’s five beautiful golf courses noted for being among the top public golf courses in New Jersey.
“The park commission recently passed a resolution to provide golf course discounts for veterans beginning July 1,” said Somerset County Park Commission President D.J. Hunsinger. “This is the perfect time to begin offering this discount since we will be celebrating the anniversary of national freedom.”
“I am pleased that the park commission can offer this discount to veterans,” said Somerset County Commissioner Directory Shanel Y. Robinson, who is herself a veteran of the Air Force Reserves. “For many veterans, affordability is an obstacle to enjoying our golf courses. This is one way to thank the vets for serving our country.”
“Many of our veterans play golf, and they will really value the gesture of appreciation and respect,” said Somerset County Director of Veterans Services Peter Niemiec.
To receive a discount, golfers must be a resident of Somerset County and meet the following criteria:
- Have a Somerset County Veterans Identification Card (ID), which is a photo identification card that lists the branch of service where the individual received a discharge.
- To receive a free veteran’s ID card, veterans must File a DD-214 discharge form with the Somerset County Clerk’s Office. For more information and to make an appointment with the clerk's office, call 908-231-7013 or click here. (Veterans cannot use the ID card as a general-purpose government-issued identification).
- Golfers must also register with the Somerset County Park Commission. To register, call 908-722-1200.
Discounts, Fees and Credits
- The veteran’s discount cannot be used at the nine-hole Academy Course or in combination with other discounts, such as for seniors 62 and older. Discounts are available from Monday to Friday except for holidays.
- The registration fees are $70 per year and $55 per year for seniors ages 62 years and older.
- Golfers encountering inclement weather while playing will receive full credit (a rain check) if one to four holes are played. If five to nine holes are played, golfers will receive credit (a rain check)for nine holes. If golfers play ten or more holes, they will not receive credit.
- Golf course fees can only be redeemed at the golf course where the rain check was issued, and only on the days the game was scheduled. Rain checks expire at the end of the calendar year with no exceptions.